Summit Snowdon with Love Hope Strength and make huge strides for people living with cancer in North Wales.
Walkers slow and fast, young and old can join in the hike up Snowdon and be part of the sing a long on the mountain side. Wear your favourite walking boots; bring your sandwiches and guitar, sunscreen and a crowd of friends.
“My family, friends and I set up Snowdon Rocks because we wanted to thank all the people who have been by my side. For the last seven years friends, including healthcare staff and other patients, and family have joined me to summit Snowdon, come together to sing on the mountain side, and raise money for local cancer services. We’ve created a small but unforgettable festival of music, thanks, celebration and remembrance. This year we will be joined by special guest musicians and celebrities including Derek Brockaway, the much loved ‘BBC Walking Weatherman’ and Champions League wining footballer David May. I really hope that you too can be a part of it.” Mike Peters
- Date: 20th June 2015, the longest day of the year
- Registration: From 8am to 9:30am on the day at Electric Mountain Visitors Centre
- Start: 10am for an opening speech and song from Mike Peters at Penceunant café, www.snowdoncafe.com
- Walk route: The Llanberis Railway path
- Height of the mountain: 1085 metres
- Planned rest break: The Halfway House Cafe
- Day time concert: At the summit of Snowdon itself. Additional refreshments are available at the Eryri visitor centre.
- Timings: The walk takes approximately 3 hours at a leisurely pace, including musical stops at the half-way house and music at (or near) the summit, weather permitting.
- Charge: £20 registration per person.
- Sponsorship: Get sponsored and raise more money for the By Your Side campaign! Download your sponsorship form here. Everyone who raises over £50 will receive a Snowdon Rocks memento.
- Conditions of Entry: By registering you are agreeing to our conditions of entry. Click here to see the conditions of entry.
- Registration: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR SNOWDON ROCKS
Team Registration (3-5 people)
Our Team Rocks!
Join together with colleagues, friends or family and enter as a team of 3-5 people. As a team you can join the Snowdon Rocks hike at a reduced rate of £50 (plus minimum sponsorship of £250).
Aim high to receive your Snowdon Rocks memento and certificate:
- Pen Y Pass Award: £250 minimum team sponsorship
- Glyder Fawr Award: £500-£750 team sponsorship
- Snowdon Award: £750 or more team sponsorship
- 50% reduced entry fee
- Team invitation to the Snowdon Rocks After Show in Llanberis
- Create a team theme by wearing a particular colour or wacky team outfits
- Organise a ‘rock’ cakes and tea party to raise money before your challenge
- Plan your own Snowdon Rocks gig with a busk or talent night
- Have a ‘Guess the time to summit’ competition in your office
- Put on ‘No pain, no gain’ work out sessions for your team to train in the lead up to the challenge
- Registration: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR SNOWDON ROCKS
*Please note that if you choose to register as a group (with a reduced £50 total registration charge for 3-5 people) you are doing so on the understanding that your group will endeavour to raise a minimum of £250.
If you do not want to pledge to raise £250, you can register a number of individuals for £20 per person; more than one individual can be registered within the same booking.
The Strength Train
For the first time this year a Snowdon Mountain Railway train has been chartered to take people living with cancer who aren’t able to walk long distances, carers and healthcare staff up the mountain to enjoy this special day. Huge thanks to the North West Wales’ Rotary Clubs for sponsoring the train.
All 74 places on this train are free of charge. Seats are available on a first come first served basis, so please book early to avoid disappointment. Passengers will enjoy ‘rock’ cakes and tea on the train at the summit, along with a short talk and song from Mike at 14:30.
The Memory Chain
We’ve been receiving messages from people who want to remember loved ones lost to cancer, share memories, give hope, and offer thanks to those involved in cancer care in North Wales. Some of these messages will be included on ‘prayer flags’ which will be displayed during Snowdon Rocks.
Your message can be part of this ‘memory chain’. Write your short personal note and email it, send it via this registration page, the Awyr Las social media pages or by post to the Awyr Las Support Team. Your words will be inscribed on a prayer flag and joined together with others. Suggested donation £5.
Join a gig in ‘Elect-Rock Mountain’, Llanberis
This year local musicians, performers and school groups will share their talents at the Electric Mountain and at other venues in Llanberis through out the day so those who aren’t able to take part in the walk can still enjoy the music and togetherness that lies at the heart of Snowdon Rocks.
We will update this page with more information about the times and locations of these performances as they are confirmed.
The After Show with Mike Peters of The Alarm In Concert.
The Heights in Llanberis has generously agreed to host an After Show party. Expect laughter, live entertainment including a set from Mike Peters, and a late night.
Official Snowdon Rocks hikers receive an invitation to After Show as part of the registration fee. Non-walkers can sign up for tickets Tickets are £20 per person. 7:30pm start at The Heights.
To only register for The Aftershow, please complete the form here.
Organise your own Rocks event
You can support the By Your Side campaign by organising your own Rocks event:
- Organise a concert in your school or set up karaoke in your office during the lunch hour
- Arrange a sponsored walk or put a treadmill in your workplace and get a team to stroll for a day
- Have a ‘rock’ cake sale with colleagues and friends
- Go rock climbing or do something equally adventurous and get sponsored
Contact the Awyr Las Fundraising Support Team for more information to help you get started.
Snowdon Rocks 2015 wouldn’t be possible without the dedicated team of Love Hope Strength and Awyr Las volunteers. Please click here if you would like to register an interest in volunteering in the lead up to and on the day of the event
With thanks to the Snowdonia Marathon, the Electric Mountain Visitors Centre and the Heights Llanberis for their support. Special thanks to the North West Wales Rotary Clubs for sponsoring the Strength Train and First Aid provision and to the Snowdon Mountain Railway for their help and complementary refreshments for Strength Train passengers.